Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Are brand names ALWAYS better??

So today while shopping at Walmart, I showed Trevor my discovery that I made the other day while scoping out the baby foods.  At the one prenatal class I did with Capital Health, it just happened to be the baby food one and I learned how to compare labels and what to look for!
For my faithful readers, especially those with babies or grandbabies, I decided to take photos of what I found in the aisle of Walmart!


Here I lined up the three brands offered.  ALL of these jars contain Sweet Potatoes.  The top one is the Walmart Parent's Choice brand, the left is Heinz, and the right is Gerber. 
Here I took a close up of the label of Parent's Choice.  Take note of these numbers!

This one is the Heinz jar.  The calories have doubled and the fat content has tripled!  Even the salt increased! 

Here is the Gerber jar!  LOOK AT THE CALORIES!  90 compared to the 35 of Parent's Choice!  Check out the SODIUM levels.  40 mg compared to 3 mg!  That is just crazy! 


Now, I will be honest here - I am a bit of a 'label' girl.  For some reason when it comes to diapers, wipes, etc...I stick with Pampers vs. Costco, Walmart, etc because it's what we've always used and I'm afraid to branch away.  This baby food experience may change my take on it!  The one baby food that I thought would be the most unhealthy turned out to beat the 'label' versions hands down!

So I hope you enjoyed my little lesson in choosing a baby food!  

I am very eager and have full intentions of making my own. but didn't have a chance to do so yet - and am not nearly patient enough to wait!  So Monday after his doctor's appointment, I grabbed a couple flavors until I do my batching on Friday!  I wanted to share my finds with my husband in case he ever needs to pick something up in a bind, and he suggested I share it with all of you as well!

1 comment:

  1. Nice work Detective Mama!! I loved your evidence! Crazy the amounts of sodium! And judging by the pictures of Jackson eating, he'd take any of it, may as well make it healthier!

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete