Sunday, May 16, 2010

Acupuncture

So, unlike our prenatal classes, the ones my doula took talked about a variety of methods that can assist in preparation for labour!  Luckily, I get to reap the benefits of her learnings as she shared with me the information she learned about Acupuncture...and how beneficial it has been!  I have done my share of reading (although I don't find a lot) and decided to go ahead with the Pre-Birth Treatment mixed with some symptom relief acupuncture.  I was very scared as I HATE needles and was very nervous going in to this!  All in all, it was pain free, interesting, and well worth the experience!  

The guy I saw was AWESOME and we had great conversation and he was very gentle and knowledgable.  He specializes in this area and I didn't doubt him once - which was comforting.  All the needles were in my legs (from the knee down) which was interesting!  I was worried they were going to start in my face!  

The most interesting part of the experience for me was that near the end of the appointment we were talking about C-sections and I was sharing that the only reason I was worried about it was because of my hernias.  He replied by saying that the last two needles inserted were on nerves associated with the hernias as they felt tender...that was so COOL to me!  He didn't even know about them yet, and was on top of it.  It was incidents such as that which made me realize how much our body is connected on so many levels and how "western" medicine doesn't always know everything.  We talked a lot about Western vs. Eastern medicine, and what I like about him is he is educated and experienced in both and uses both in the practice.  Not a hard-head at all.  

Anywhos...that was treatment #1!!  Quick and Painless!  Next one is booked for next Saturday!  He asked for me to bring my doula and/or husband to teach them accupressure techniques to use during labor!  I can't believe how close we are getting...

I posted some info from the website below!

Acupuncture is an effective way to promote natural healing and improvement of body functioning by inserting fine needles into specific stimulation points on the body.  The practice of acupuncture can be ideal during pregnancy as it offers women a drug-free alternative to managing their health and well-being. 

Prenatal Acupuncture; prenatal acupuncture treatments can aid women in taking a hands on role in managing their pregnancy. Acupuncture can be used to ease morning sickness, cramping, back, neck and shoulder pain, effectively and without the use of drugs.  Additionally, regular treatments can help naturally prepare the body for childbirth, shortening labour, reducing the use of medical interventions, and reducing anxiety over the birthing process.  For more information see the Prebirth treatment below.

Pre-Birth Treatment; Pre-birth acupuncture treatments are designed to prepare women for the most efficient labour possible and are offered as a series of treatments in the final weeks of pregnancy. 

Pre-birth treatments for pregnant women from weeks 36 on have been shown in research to reduce the duration of labour in first time pregnancies. The mean labour duration for women seeking acupuncture was two hours shorter then women not receiving acupuncture. 

The acupuncture treatments start at 36 weeks and are given once a week until labour commences. Clinical experience shows that this consistently increased the chance of women experiencing a natural labour.



No comments:

Post a Comment