Saturday, January 18, 2014

Mom of the Year

We all have those 'Mom of the Year' moments.  And if a mom tries to tell you they haven't they are lying.  I promise.  Being a mom is trial and error.  It's also full of mistakes...some preventable, some just natural consequences.  The two I'm going to share with all of you are totally accidental and totally preventable.  But they happened and they ruined my mom cape at the time.  They make me cringe at the thought of them.  But they also make me giggle, so that must mean time is healing wounds.  Which it does, always!

Mom of the Year Moment 375 (probably!)

We were shopping and Sawyer was growing impatience.  In my final attempt to humor him, I lifted his 35 pounds of existance onto my shoulders.  He likes it up there, but my body does not share his enthusiasm.  But as a mom, you tend to do almost anything to keep your kids happy in public!  So up there he was, and it did the trick - it bought me a few more moments of time to wrap up the transaction and get to the car.  Here's where my award was handed to me...right there in the parking lot in front of strangers...who didn't applause I assure you!  As he's up there happy as can be, as he doesn't get up there often, I proceed to the back of the car after Jackson climbed in.  I opened the tailgate...and as it automatically lifted I heard a loud THUD followed by some wonderful screams and tears.  I knew exactly what had happened. And it was too late.  You see, I never have an extra couple feet above my head while opening the tailgate, so it didn't occur to me that the tailgate was at the right level to smoke my child in the face.  I've never gotten a child off my shoulders as quick as I did in that moment.  There were tears coming from his eyes, blood coming from his nose, and angry stares from people around me.  Was this on purpose, of course not.  But it happened.  And these things do happen.  He bounced back and recovered quickly - but it still sucked!  Every single part of it!

Mom of the Year Moment 397

Jackson needed a haircut.  I've done this dozens of times.  Literally.  It's a quick and painless date with the clippers.  Except on this one night.  This one night about a week ago, I set everything up, had an eager and willing little boy.  I picked up the clippers, armed them with what I thought was an 8 guard and away I went.  But you know what?!  It wasn't an 8.  Nope not an 8 at all.  In fact, it was 5 levels away from an 8.  It was A THREE!  And I didn't notice until the first pass through his hair...when a lot fell to the ground.  Do you want to know what else fell to the ground?  My tears.  Instantly.  It was too late, you have to keep going!  So that I did, and my cute little spiky boy sat there wearing a buzz cut.  It sucks.  I likely won't cut his hair for a long long time now.  But hair grows back - or so my husband told me as he attempted to console my broken heart!  And this too shall be a funny memory one day.  Right?!  RIGHT?!


Really, if any mom out there tries to tell you they haven't had 'a moment', they are LYING.  It happens, it sucks, and life goes on!

2 comments:

  1. You should get the greatest mom of the year award for all the great things you do.

    Xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the new posts babe. Xoxoxo

    Love you

    ReplyDelete