Thursday, September 2, 2010

Shamu...













So Shamu's show was by far the most entertaining of the day.  But really, it left me with mixed feelings.  While the whales are BEAUTIFUL and clearly talented...the whole message behind the show is "believe".  Believe in whales and humans living together, believe in the unbelievable.  I think they missed the memo that while their show is entertaining, these whales live in captivity.  They are trained.  Yes, they are fed well...but they are not free.  If we really 'believed' that we could live with them...why are we not on ships on the ocean?  These whales are not living the dream.  

I can appreciate animals and places like the zoos and sea world for what they are, but I am always left with a guilty feeling afterwards.  I have mentioned several times that one day maybe some species will find its way to Earth and put all humans into captivity because we are so interesting and they want our ways of life to become their entertainment and their pleasure.  How would we feel then?  Not being at the top of the food chain?    Anyways, I could go on forever about this topic...and like I said, although the show was amazing, their messages were really mixed and I feel very sad for these animals.  It's the same sad I feel when a bear in the woods gets shot and killed because he attacked a human....a human in HIS territory.  We would do the same thing...but this feeling of being the dominant species - I hope one day - finds its way out the door and forgotten.  

Sorry about the ramble!  Again, beautiful whales!

No comments:

Post a Comment