Thursday, June 12, 2014

Birthday Bash Part 1

This year we decided to do one great big birthday bash for the two boys!  There were several reasons for this...

1) They are such good buddies
2) Their birthdays are fairly close together and it felt like we were throwing one party and turning around to throw another
3) We could combine budgets and do something a bit more fun!
4) May is far nicer weather than the beginning of April!
5)  We wanted to get them a special gift and it didn't feel right doing it just for one of their birthdays, it needed to be together.

It was a success.  I think!  I guess it felt like a success for me because I was able to accomplish (almost) everything I wanted to and the boys were full of nothing but compliments as I was setting things up.  It was a lot of work.  It was worth it.

A few facts about the party... 

- I stuffed 24 loot bags.  TWENTY FOUR!  It was then that I started panicking about how many people were coming!
- I made a pirate ship 'Bucky' cake for the boys and a tic toc croc pull away cupcake cake.  Successfully.  THE FIRST TIME!
- There were over 70 people that came out to celebrate!
- There was a big ol' bouncy pirate ship
- A balloon artist came and it was a big hit (minus the popping balloons due to the heat!)
- The weather was confusing.  Super hot then rain.
- The heat his Moose HARD about 20 minutes into the party.  I had thought we lost him for good.  Thankfully he made a decent recovery and was able to rejoin the festivities.
- Trevor woke up at 4:30 AM to put on the pork for pulled for sandwiches.  YUM
- People seemed to enjoy themselves.  We had enough food and the balloons and the pirate ship were able to keep the people entertained.
- I made the decision ahead of time to enjoy the party in real time vs. having a camera in front of my face.  I need to find a balance because I felt sad afterwards that I didn't capture all I wanted to.  But really, living in the moment is what it was about and that was accomplished!

No comments:

Post a Comment