Thursday, December 22, 2011

Uh Oh - What do you do when your turkey's cooked too soon!?

So Tuesday night we cooked a turkey and had a family dinner with the Cottons!  I was all prepared.  Ready!  Until I listened to my husband who made me question my math skills!  Why do I question myself soooo easily!?  The result of listening to my hubs?...A turkey that was done two hours too soon!  Oh dear, what do we do, what do we do...

I called my mom.  Whose suggestion was one I really didn't want to follow.
I asked my husband.  Whose suggestion was one I also really didn't want to follow.
I googled it.  I thought...what the hell!?  Why not try it!

The answer...wrap your turkey in layers and layers of tinfoil and wrap in a towel!  Put it in a cooler if you have one!  I chose to put it in my microwave and randomly turned on the warming lamp.  The principal behind this was to keep the turkey on the bones while keeping it's heat.  My mom's suggestion was to carve, cover, and keep warm with some of the juices...which, from what I read, would likely lead to colder or dry turkey - not the same as the straight off the bone.  Trevor's suggestion was to keep it in the roaster on the lowest possible heat...which, from what I read, would lead to an over cooked, dry turkey with a tough skin.  So...the towel was the way I went.  It worked like a charm and I would recommend it to anyone whose ever miscalculated!  PHEW!

I told my friend Kim what my solution was...and her first response was...'you swaddled your turkey!?'!  I guess I did!


Can I just say that I had the best turkey sandwiches for dinner last night!?  To die for!  YUM YUM!


No comments:

Post a Comment